Accidents happen and, statistically, most of them happen to someone else. Those that may occur closer to home can usually be attributed to an act of carelessness and will typically result in nothing more serious than a minor burn or scald, a cut finger, or a few bruises. On occasion, however, it is not our own carelessness that is the cause of our misfortune, but an error, omission, oversight, or irresponsible act by a third party. Where the consequences are far-reaching, some measure of compensation may be due. Experience has shown that retaining a personal injury lawyer is invariably the best means to ensure a prompt and just settlement.
The following information was provided by the Law Society of South Africa.
6 reasons why you should have a will
- It is your right to decide who should inherit your assets.
- You must ensure your family is provided for in terms of your last wishes.
- Your assets will be left to the beneficiaries of your choice.
- The executor who is appointed is someone you know, trust and may have chosen yourself.
- You will avoid extra or unnecessary costs.
- You will avoid unhappiness and conflict among members of your family because there are clear instructions on how to distribute your assets.