The following information was provided by the Law Society of South Africa.
6 reasons why you should have a will
- It is your right to decide who should inherit your assets.
- You must ensure your family is provided for in terms of your last wishes.
- Your assets will be left to the beneficiaries of your choice.
- The executor who is appointed is someone you know, trust and may have chosen yourself.
- You will avoid extra or unnecessary costs.
- You will avoid unhappiness and conflict among members of your family because there are clear instructions on how to distribute your assets.
Valid Grounds for a Personal Injury Claim in South Africa
There are numerous ways in which, as the result of negligence on the part of a third party, an individual may experience a personal injury. Usually, it is possible to claim compensation from the negligent party to meet the costs of damages that may result. Such costs generally fall into two categories – those incurred by the need for treatment and those resulting from any financial losses that may arise, for example, due to the victim’s inability to continue engaging in their paid employment.
Claims for Accidents During Rail Travel or on Railway Premises
It is estimated that around 2,4 million passengers in South Africa depend on a train to ferry them to their respective destinations every day. Regrettably, however, the company concerned tends to fall short of providing the standard of track, rolling stock, and locomotive maintenance that is essential to ensure the safety of its passengers. Combined with inadequate training of personnel leading to human error, and poor communications, not to mention severe overcrowding on many of the busiest routes, such shortfalls have led to an increase in train-related incidents, such as derailments and collisions. The average total cost to the nation of such incidents already exceeds R400 million annually and is rising, while the impact on human lives can be incalculable.