Road Accident Fund (RAF) Claims
WHAT TO DO IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT
We have a reputation not just for excellence, but for ensuring our clients receive the right compensation. We know the complexities of the Road Accident Fund, and have handled thousands of cases successfully. Finding the right personal injury attorney is the difference between being appropriately compensated for these damages, or often receiving little or nothing at all.
A car or motorcycle accident is an unfortunate reality that many of us might have to face at least once in our lifetime, and that may result in damage to property, severe injury, permanent disability or even death.
- Record the date, time and place of the accident
- Get the registration numbers of the vehicles involved
- Get the full names and contact details of the driver of the motor vehicle you believe caused the accident
- Record the full names and contact details of any potential witnesses
- Consult your doctor or local hospital for a thorough medical examination
- Contact your personal injury attorney. The earlier you involve your attorney the better it is for your claim.
WHO IS THE ROAD ACCIDENT FUND (RAF)?
The Road Accident Fund (RAF) is a fund set up in terms of the Road Accident Fund Act. It is funded by a levy/tax, which is included in the petrol and diesel price in South Africa. This is known as a fuel levy. Everyone who buys petrol or diesel effectively pays a little extra for each litre of fuel. This levy goes to the RAF.
All motor vehicle accidents are automatically covered by the RAF. But the RAF’s responsibility lies only in the bodily injuries to the respective drivers and passengers, and in some cases, pedestrians. They are therefore not responsible for material damages to cars and other vehicles.
WHO CAN CLAIM FROM THE RAF?
WHEN CAN YOU CLAIM FROM THE RAF?
- dependents of a deceased breadwinner.
You have to claim within 3 years from the date of the accident.
You can claim if:
- the accident in which you sustained injuries/damage was not your fault.
- you suffered injuries as a result of that collision.
In addition to Road Accident Fund claims for pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of income/support and medical expenses, we also assist in claims against the wrong-doer or insurance company for financial loss suffered as a result of damage to your motor vehicle.
to book your free consultation with a Simpsons Personal Injury Attorney.